Background of Agriculture (Food Security/Livelihood) Department
The Agric/food security department is the widest department in SPEDP; it’s formed majorly with the purpose of empowering the communities of South Sudan in situation related to poverty, hunger which majorly focuses on improving food availability and standard of living with in South Sudan.
The Agric / Livelihood department has been and is implementing activities of emergency response project which includes distribution of seeds/ fishing kits & CMMF( Community Managed Microfinance/ VSLA (Village Savings and Loans Association). Currently the food security department is funded by this donors that include United Kingdom Aid Match (UKAM), CHF, Christian Aid, UN FAO, and DCA. The Agric department is implementing projects currently in the three states of Central Equatoria, Northern Barh-el-gazal NBG and Eastern Equtoria States with a hope of extending to the other states as per funding
United Kingdom Aid Match (UKAM) PROJECT SUCCESS STORIES
Project Tittle: Inclusive and integrated nutrition sensitive resilience approach to enhance nutritional outcomes for women and girls of child bearing age and under-fives in Aweil North County of South Sudan. Situation/ Background: This project adopts an inclusive and integrated nutrition sensitive approach to enhance nutritional outcomes for 15,087 women and girls of child bearing age and 3,771 children under-five in Aweil North County. The project will enhance household nutrition and care practices, access to diverse nutritious food, safe water and better services, by addressing root causes of under nutrition, including harmful social norms and strengthening capacity of 1 county nutrition departments.
- Trained 10 community Based Facilitators (CBF) for Village Saving and Loan Association (VSLA) in which (F=4, M=6).
- Rehabilitated one bore hole (Hand Pump Machine) in Malual East Payam..
- Trained 250 School Hygiene club children Boys 92 and Girls 158 in the selected 5 Primary Schools. Pamat Primary school (50) where-by (G=22, B=28), Marol Deng Geng 50 (G=,32 B=18,) Pandiit Girls Primary School 50 in which (G=50, B=00), Akoch Primary School 50 in which (G=26, B=24) and Malual Diit Agep Primary School 50 in which (G=28, B=22).
- Conducted training for Community water Pump Machine for 10 members on borehole (hand pump) maintenance and repair in Malual East Payam in which (M=10, F=00).
- Conducted fisher folks training for 90 beneficiaries in Ariath, Malual Center and Malual East in which (M=61, F=29).
- Trained 10 teachers to champion nutrition and school garden in 5 schools Pamat Primary School 2, Marol Deng Geng 2, Pundit Girls Primary School 2, Akoch Primary School 2 and Malual Diit Primary School 2 in which (M=10, F=00).
- Conduct awareness campaign on nutrition and diet diversification (differences) for 210 existing farmers in Ariath, Malual; Center and Malual East Payam all were Women which has excess their family immune system to fight against disease and keep them healthy .
- Seeds, Crops and vegetables seeds were distributed to 450 farmers in Ariath, Malual Center and Malual East in Northern Bahr el Ghazal in Which (M=15, F=435) which are body building nutrients that will make their body to grow strong and eradicate infectious disease.